This seven-acre public open space is located across from the White House on Pennsylvania Avenue and provides a pleasant environment for visitors and workers from the surrounding downtown D.C. area. Landscape improvements were designed to preserve and enhance the traditional and stately character of the park and include gently curving walkways, continuous lawn areas, naturalistic tree patterns, flower beds, vistas, fountains, and statues. Rustic red brick replaced deteriorating asphalt pavement throughout the park and along the adjacent Madison Place and Jackson frontages. The park has a rich design history, originally laid out by landscape designer Andrew J. Downing in 1851 and having walkway patterns established by the National Park Service in the 1920s. Urban design guidelines were developed to retain the historic character of the site and improvements were made in the spirit of the original design when possible.
- Date : 26.05.2014
- Architect : Skidmore, Owings & Merrill
- Status : Completed
- Location : Washington D.C.